Whether you’re contemplating your first jog or your next marathon, having the right shoe is crucial. New Balance offers a wide range of shoes to meet every need—but the number of choices can be overwhelming.
The Off White Shoeser team has tested tons of New Balance running shoes over the years—and today, we thought we’d share some of our favorite models (along with guidance for choosing running shoes that work for you).
Ready to find your match? Read on.
New Balance Running Shoe Basics
New Balance running shoes are designed to optimize your performance and help prevent injuries. The company offers various styles, ranging from minimalist racers to cushioned long-distance companions.
Their shoes come with features like different heel-to-toe drop levels and stability elements, catering to different types of runners—whether you’re a toe-striker, midfoot-striker, or heel-striker. There are also shoes for different terrains and surfaces.
All in all, there’s a lot to consider. Don’t worry, though—we’ll walk you through it!
Why Choose New Balance Footwear?
Throughout the design process, New Balance focuses on three essential shoe design pillars to deliver an exceptional running experience:
In this section, we’ll explore the key factors to consider when buying a new pair of New Balance shoes.
Comfort is subjective—what works for us may not work for you. Luckily, New Balance offers a range of midsole cushioning options to cater to all kinds of preferences. And as we all know, comfort isn’t an option for running shoes… it’s a necessity.
When you’re out on a run, it’s easy for your feet to start overheating if you’re not wearing a breathable shoe. New Balance running shoes use clever ventilation systems to keep you cool and comfortable throughout your run.
New Balance running shoes achieve a featherweight design without compromising quality or durability. For long-distance runners and marathoners, this means reduced fatigue and the ability to conquer more miles.
Choosing Your New Balance Running Shoes
Selecting the perfect New Balance running shoe starts with understanding your needs. When choosing running shoes, we thought you might consider the following criteria:
- Cushioning: Look for shoes with adequate cushioning for comfort and support during your runs.
- Style: Choose a shoe that aligns with your style and preferences. Whether you like to stand out or blend in, there’s a running shoe for you.
- Foot Mechanics: Consider your running gait and any specific issues you may have, such as overpronation or plantar fasciitis.
- Category: Determine whether you need minimalist, neutral, stability, or motion-control shoes.
10 Best New Balance Shoes for Runners
Are you in a rush? Here’s the TLDR version:
- New Balance FuelCell SuperComp Elite v3: This shoe combines comfort and performance, thanks to the Fuel Cell foam technology.
- New Balance FuelCell Rebel v3: With its lightweight design, secure fit, and unique color scheme, this shoe is perfect for runners seeking style and functionality.
- New Balance Fresh Foam X 1080v12: Featuring the innovative Fresh Foam X midsole design, this shoe offers superior cushioning. The Ndurance rubber outsole enhances durability for long-lasting performance.
- New Balance FuelCell SuperComp Trainer v2: This shoe has an advanced energy-return system, ensuring optimal performance and durability. Plus, New Balance’s commitment to sustainability is evident in this model.
- New Balance Fresh Foam X Hierro v7: Designed for long-distance runs, this shoe features the Fresh Foam X midsole, providing unparalleled cushioning for enhanced comfort.
- New Balance Fresh Foam Hierro v6: With Fresh Foam midsole cushioning, zonal TPU threads for increased support, and Toe Protect technology for enhanced durability, this shoe offers a well-rounded running experience.
- New Balance FuelCell Rc Elite V2: Combining form and function, this shoe boasts a secure and precise fit in the upper, while the FuelCell midsole delivers superior energy return.
- New Balance Fresh Foam X 860v13: Featuring Fresh Foam X midsole with bio-based content, this shoe provides superior comfort while also contributing to reducing our carbon footprint.
- New Balance FuelCell Propel v4: Engineered with innovative FuelCell foam technology, this shoe is specifically designed to provide superior propulsion and support for the runner’s stride.
- New Balance Fresh Foam X Vongo v5: The midsole of this shoe offers exceptional cushioning for incredible comfort, while the Hypoknit upper provides strategic areas of stretch and support.
Now, let’s dive into the details!
1. New Balance FuelCell SuperComp Elite v3
New Balance’s FuelCell SuperComp Elite v3 stands out in the running shoe market due to its versatility. We find that it’s a great pair of running shoes to go either fast or slow, allowing you to use it both for marathons and shorter-distance runs. It’s a neutral shoe with a perfect blend of comfort and performance, partly due to the Fuel Cell foam. The fit is excellent, especially for those who love Super Shoes.
The infusion of advanced carbon fiber plate geometry helps maximize energy return and gives you a little extra spring with every step. Combined with the lightweight engineered knit upper, the FuelCell SuperComp Elite v3 offers a comfortable, high-performance running experience.
Small caveat—we occasionally experienced a slight lace bite due to the somewhat awkward lacing system. This slightly detracts from the comfort of an otherwise great pair of running shoes.
- Colors: White with victory blue, Electric indigo with black
- Weight and Drop: 229 grams (8.1 oz), 6mm
- Price: $229.99
- Special Features: FuelCell foam delivers a propulsive feel to help drive you forward. Energy Arc pairs advanced carbon fiber plate geometry with strategically shaped and placed midsole voids, designed to increase stored energy to deliver a high amount of total energy returned.
- Intended Use: We think this is a perfect shoe for ambitious runners seeking efficient, high-performance footwear. Whether you’re an elite athlete or a beginner runner looking to improve your personal record, this shoe caters to a seamless, propulsive stride.
2. New Balance FuelCell Rebel v3
The New Balance FuelCell Rebel v3 offers the perfect blend of style, comfort, and performance for your running needs. Its lightweight design, secure fit, and unique color scheme make it an excellent partner for your running journey.
- Cosmic pineapple with blacktop and neon dragonfly
- White with blacktop and neon dragonfly
- Weight and Drop: 209 grams (7.4 oz), 6mm
- Price: $103.99
- Special Features: The propulsive FuelCell foam adds spring to your stride, a seamless and lightweight engineered knit upper, and a gusseted tongue for a snug fit.
- Intended Use: We see this as an excellent option for long-distance runners due to the cushioning and lightweight design.
3. New Balance Fresh Foam X 1080v12
The Fresh Foam X 1080v13 stands out amongst New Balance’s running shoe line due to its unique blend of comfort, durability, and sustainability. The innovative Fresh Foam X midsole design offers superior cushioning, while the Ndurance rubber outsole provides enhanced durability. Plus, New Balance has used 3% bio-based materials in the design, which is slightly more eco-friendly than many others on the market.
- Marine blue with night sky
- Black with white
- White with light silver metallic
- Black with blacktop
- Grey matter with shadow grey
- Starlight with marine blue
- Weight and Drop: 292 grams (10.3 oz), 8mm
- Price: $164.99
- Special Features: The Fresh Foam X 1080v13 features a bio-based Fresh Foam X midsole for superior cushioning and comfort. It also boasts an Ndurance rubber outsole for added durability in high-wear areas. Reflective accents ensure visibility in low-light conditions.
- Intended Use: We see this as an excellent option for novices looking for comfort as they get into running. Experienced runners will appreciate the durability, though.
4. New Balance FuelCell SuperComp Trainer v2
The Fresh Foam X 1080v13 is one of the best New Balance running shoes due to its innovative design and features. The shoe boasts an advanced energy-return system, durability, and a commitment to sustainability. Whether for daily practice or competitive marathons, this running shoe offers a level of performance that few others can match.
- Ice blue with neon dragonfly
- black with thirty-watt
- Weight and Drop: 282.2 grams (10 oz), 6mm
- Price: $179.99
- Special Features: The Fresh Foam X 1080v13 includes the Energy Arc feature. This uses a carbon fiber plate and unique midsole design to enhance energy storage and return, improving performance. It also uses FuelCell foam for a robust, propulsive feel that helps boost your stride forward.
- Intended Use: We feel this is a well-rounded option with mass appeal. Not sure what you’re looking for in a running shoe? There’s a good chance you’ll like this one.
5. New Balance Fresh Foam X Hierro v7
The Fresh Foam X Hierro v7 stands out due to its comfort and grip. Vibram (of Vibram Fivefingers fame) created the outsole to maximize grip and stability. We felt confident on steep, loose trails and wet rocks and roots. The midsole is composed of Fresh Foam X for support and cushioning.
- Blacktop with sea salt
- Silver moss with deep olive green
- Shadow with black
- Weight and Drop: 318 grams (11.2 oz), 8mm
- Price: $139.99
- Special Features: Host unique characteristics that boost its performance and comfort. Its standout feature is the Fresh Foam X midsole, which provides maximum cushioning for incredible comfort during extended use. The shoe also boasts a synthetic and mesh upper that balances breathability and protection, ensuring your feet stay cool without sacrificing durability.
- Intended Use: We think this shoe is a perfect fit for adventure enthusiasts, trail runners, and anyone passionate about outdoor running.
6. New Balance Fresh Foam Hierro v6
The New Balance Fresh Foam Hierro v6 stands out due to a unique combination of Fresh Foam midsole cushioning, zonal TPU threads for increased support, and Toe Protect technology for enhanced durability. These features, coupled with the shoe’s lightweight design and ventilated, snug-fitting upper, make this shoe a frontrunner in the New Balance running shoe line.
- Light Rogue Wave/Habanero
- Mountain Teal/Blaze, Ghost Pepper/Habanero
- Black Spruce/Timberwolf
- Black/Mountain Teal
- Sulphur Yellow/Norway Spruce
- Weight and Drop: 337.36 grams (11.9 oz), 8mm
- Price: $134.99
- Special Features: It boasts a synthetic-and-mesh upper with strategically placed TPU threads for enhanced support in high-wear areas. Its design includes a bootie construction for a snug fit, laser perforations for breathability, and Toe Protect technology for safeguarding the feet against trail debris.
- Intended Use: Once again, the combination of New Balance and Vibram has led to a sturdy, all-terrain running shoe. We think the slightly less outdoorsy design makes this a better option for park runs and lightweight hiking.
7. New Balance FuelCell Rc Elite V2
One of the standout features that make the FuelCell Elite v2 a top-tier running shoe in the New Balance lineup is its thoughtful design. The shoe blends form and function with an upper that provides a secure, precise fit and a FuelCell midsole that delivers superior energy return. Its balanced padding and locked-down heel counter contribute to its overall comfort.
- Vibrant Spring Glo/Light Surf/Vibrant Violet
- Electric Red/Silver Metallic
- Rain Cloud/Silver/Marblehead
- Black/Thirty Watt
- Weight and Drop: 218 grams (7.7 oz), 8mm
- Price: $179.99
- Special Features: Built with a durable rubber sole, providing a solid grip and long-lasting wear, the shoe includes an innovative Energy Arc feature, which combines carbon fiber plate geometry with strategic midsole voids to enhance stored energy, ensuring more energy is returned to you with each stride. It also boasts FuelCell foam to drive you forward with a propulsive feel.
- Intended Use: We think these shoes will be a great fit for hobbyists and athletes. The energy return on these shoes is excellent—and if you’re looking to beat some PRs, you can’t go wrong with the FuelCell foam.
8. New Balance Fresh Foam X 860v13
The New Balance Fresh Foam X 860v13 stands out due to its innovative Fresh Foam X midsole with bio-based content, providing superior comfort and helping reduce our carbon footprint.
The shoe’s dual-density midsole perfectly balances comfort and performance while the medial post controls pronation. Its no-sew construction and adjustable lace closure contribute to a sleek and customized fit, elevating the running experience to new heights.
- Pink moon with NB burgundy
- Sea salt with black
- Ice blue with thirty-watt
- Black with white and magnet
- Light aluminum with true red and black
- Black with phantom and black metallic
- Weight and Drop: 243 grams (8.6 oz), 10mm
- Price: $139.99
- Special Features: The Fresh Foam X shoes offer exceptional comfort through a dual-density midsole and a bio-based content that substantially reduces our carbon footprint. The shoe’s upper part ensures a sleek fit with a no-sew construction, complemented by a breathable air mesh for ventilation. The shoe’s unique features include a medial post for pronation control, an adjustable lace closure for a personalized fit, and reflective accents for visibility, all contributing to a premium running experience.
- Intended Use: This is a very versatile shoe—perfect for everyday wear. We love that the lowkey design and neutral colors make it suitable for (almost) any occasion. Plus, they offer excellent ankle support for mild to moderate overpronation.
9. New Balance FuelCell Propel v4
The New Balance FuelCell Propel v4 is a stylish shoe built out of innovative FuelCell foam technology, specifically designed to provide superior propulsion and support for the runner’s stride. The rounded sole hits the ground smoothly to minimize impact and provide a comfortable, responsive ride.
- White with electric indigo and thirty watt
- Black with quartz pink and pink moon
- Pink moon with quartz pink
- Thirty watt
- Grey matter with rain cloud
- White with black
- Black with white
- Quartz grey with black
- Weight and Drop: 302.6 grams (10.7 oz), 6mm
- Price: $109.99
- Special Features: The New Balance FuelCell Propel v4 boasts FuelCell foam technology and a TPU plate engineered to enhance your stride with exceptional propulsion. Additionally, its synthetic/mesh construction and approval from the American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA) ensure outstanding quality and comfort.
- Intended Use: We think the New Balance FuelCell Propel v4 is perfect for runners of all levels—from beginners to experienced marathoners—looking for a shoe that can deliver both speed and comfort. It’s also great for people with foot health concerns (as recognized by the APMA Seal of Acceptance).
10. New Balance Fresh Foam X Vongo v5
The Fresh Foam X Vongo v5 is one of the most comfortable shoes we tested. Its midsole offers superior cushioning for incredible comfort, while the Hypoknit upper affords strategic areas of stretch and support. The medial post controls pronation, which is a crucial concern for runners. Add to this the secure fit provided by the lace-up closure, and you’ve got a shoe that stands out in terms of comfort, support, and stability.
- Washed pink with grapefruit and stone pink
- Sea salt with thirty watt
- Black with starlight and black metallic
- Weight and Drop: 230.8 grams (8.1 oz), 8mm
- Price: $119.99
- Special Features: The Fresh Foam X Vongo v5 features a Hypoknit upper for a customized fit and a Fresh Foam X midsole for ultimate cushioning. Paired with a medial post for pronation control and a secure lace-up closure, this shoe offers comfort and support.
- Intended Use: If you’ve ever struggled with balance or stability while running, we think this is a shoe to check out. It’s perfect for anyone with overpronation or looking for a comfortable and supportive running shoe.
New Balance is a major player in the running shoe industry, with a comprehensive range of options available. Hopefully, we were able to provide some insight into what to look for in your next running shoe and which shoes stand out from the pack.Looking for more shoe recommendations? Off White Shoeser is your source for everything related to sneakers, running shoes, and more.